At The Eagle Group, our metalcasting services start right at the beginning. Our engineering teams routinely work with customers early in the design stages on larger, long-term projects, providing our expert machining and casting advice to ensure parts are designed for manufacturability (DFM). The outcome is a part that performs to the standards our customers require and is produced as cost effectively as possible. It is true value engineering (VE).
- Identify Cost Driving characteristics
- Recommend ideal datum schemes
- Explain potential trouble areas
- Customized process design
- Custom tooling and fixtures
- Strategic capital investments
Determining Your Needs
Not sure which casting method is right for your project? Before you start shopping for metalcasting services, here are some key questions you should ask yourself:
1) What material is the part to be made of?
2) What are the projected order quantities and annual quantities?
3) What is the desired surface finish?
4) What tolerance range is necessary?
5) Is there significant machining required to the finished part?
6) Initial tooling costs differ greatly from one casting process to another. Which is more important to the project: tooling price or casting price?
Knowing the answers to these questions will help guide you toward the optimum casting method and help you avoid over-spending.
Use the information provided in the “Choosing Your Casting Method” option to learn more about our metal casting services, or simply contact any one of our sales or engineering professionals to put our expertise to work for you.
Methods & Specifications
The shell mold process is the industry standard for medium to high volume, commercial grade metalcasting projects.
Eagle Precision Cast Parts
The Induction air melting process used at Eagle Precision can accommodate most ferrous or nonferrous alloys.
Eagle Aluminum Cast Products – Greensand casting
Typical Surface Finishes:
- Eagle Alloy – Shell Mold: 200-300 RMS
- Eagle Precision Cast Parts – Investment: 125 RMS
- Eagle Aluminum Cast Products – Greensand: 150-350 RMS
Size & Weight Limitations
- Typical tolerance held: +/-.030” per inch
- Typical weight range: 2 lbs – 400 lbs net
- Largest overall dimensions: 30” x 40” x 14”
- Typical production quantity: 100 pcs – 5,000 pcs per run
Eagle Precision Cast Parts
- Typical tolerance held: +/-.005” per inch
- Typical weight range: 1 oz – 85 lbs
- Largest overall dimensions: 24” x 24”
- Typical production quantity: $750 minimum order
Eagle Aluminum Cast Products – Greensand
- Typical tolerance held: +/-.063”
- Typical weight range: Competitive for 10 lbs. to 100 lbs.
- Largest overall dimensions: Largest flask is 33 x 78”
- Typical production quantity: 50-1000 is typical, with annual volumes of: 500+